Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tomato Envy???


I have been a little envious of my friends & coworkers who live down in sunny Sacramento. They have been bringing tomatoes in to work for over a month. As for me, I think 2011 is going to go on record as the worst tomato year ever in El Dorado county. We had lots of rain & cold weather well in to the last week of June. Not great tomato conditions. I did eventually get some planted and have some success. This last weekend I finally had enough ripe at one time to do something with them other than just eating them :)

I took the very full bowl to the sink in the milking shed for an initial washing before I brought them inside. They looked so pretty I just had to take a picture....







Sitting on the milk stand dripping.


tray one ready to go in the oven


That one bowl filled two large cookie sheets

The finished product; which were then bagged up & frozen. 


One of my favorite quick & easy dinners is pasta with roasted tomatoes & my home made feta cheese. So it is nice to have plenty of feta in the fridge & plenty of roasted tomatoes in the freezer. Hopefully there will be enough ripe tomatoes next weekend to get some sauce and/or whole tomatoes canned, too.
I must say, however, that I am not real happy with the varieties I planted this year. Next year I will go back to the ones I fell in love with last year. I did not repeat them this year because between kidding season & the  crazy weather this year, I did not get seeds planted & had to rely on the varieties available at the local nursery. Good but not great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment