Friday, October 7, 2011

the strangest thing.....

I have been stuck inside most of the day. I have a nasty head cold so I have been working on the computer. I finally made it out to the garden to enjoy the last rays of the lovely sun we had today and to assess how many more gallons of tomato sauce I can make (ok, that is a slight exaggeration, I have only made 2 gallons so far & maybe have enough ripe to make another 2. Plus several more quarts of sundried or oven roasted. yum). So I am standing there in the garden assessing the tomato situation, and I hear over head the sound of wings.

Not beating wings, gliding wings, but close enough that I can hear them. I look up expecting to see a flock of Canada geese. That is not what I see. I see three of the biggest "circles" of turkey vultures I have ever seen at one time. I am not kidding, there were at least 30 birds dancing around each other in each of three groups, the groups then circling each other.....I stood there watching them over head expecting them to move on. One group did, flew off to the south down the riparian corridor. The others hung out long enough for me to think, gee, I should take a picture..... so I went inside & grabbed my camera, but they were gone. Or so I thought.

Then I realized they were in the trees all around me. Unbelievable. I counted at least 60 birds. And no, there was nothing dead around. I can usually smell a dead deer before they find it. Nothing. It will be interesting to see if they are still around in the morning. They really like the grey pines & the ponderosa pines. Seriously, I have never seen anything like it before. Have you?










Apparently they do not like cedar trees


No comments:

Post a Comment