Thursday, February 3, 2011

Goat care basics ~ Vaccinations & hoof care

Hoof Care
Your goats hooves will need to be trimmed on a regular basis, just like a horse. Usually once every 4-12 weeks depending on what surfaces they are exposed to & how much walking they do. Here is a great tutorial. I really like it because it is pictures of actual feet & not just drawings.



Vaccinations
Much like your dog or cat, goats need a series of vaccines as kids and annual vaccines as adults. I use Covexin 8 on my goats. I give the does their annual vaccine 2-6 weeks before they are due to kid. This way the kids are exposed to the vaccine/antibodies both from the dams blood supply before they are born and colostrum after there are born. I always make sure that for the first week after theya re born, the kids get the miolk from their moms only & not “pooled” milk.

Five mls of Covexin is given SQ at 10-12 weeks of age. A booster of 2ml is given in 6 weeks. Your veterinarian can administer the vaccine for you. You can also purchase Covexin (I know Lee's Feed carries it, not sure about the other local feed stores) and give the vaccine yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment