Saturday, February 5, 2011

Our goat barn

I have had several folks ask about my barn so I thought I would post some pictures of it while it was under construction. It is easier to see how it is put together this way. It was done with almost all recycled materials. I have a friend Art who is a contractor.  He had removed an old redwood fence to put up a new one & brought most of the old fencing to me for this little project.

  
Right "shed"
I drew him a picture of what I wanted & this is what we got.  The barn is basically two sheds tied together with a center isle roof. The overall size is about 13x16 The timbers were small cedar trees that were cleared out of the meadow at my parents property. The metal we used for the "skirt" and the roof is very old, very heavy corrugated metal roofing. Not really sure where that came from. My dad was always collecting useful stuff (and not-so-useful-stuff). I think he bought it at a scrap yard (same place he got all  the fencing we used for the hodge podge fencing....not pretty but the price was right :).


the only thing we purchased new were the 2x4s & 2x6s

The floor was left as dirt because that is the way I wanted it. This allows us to use the "deep bedding" method. It makes it a total pain the 2 to 4 times a year it gets cleaned back down to the dirt, but it does keep it toasty warm in the barn. And when it does get cleaned out, it is pretty much already composted & goes straight on the garden. Good stuff!
This main center beam Art cut with his chainsaw from a cedar log   
First pieces of roofing on the center isle






Here you can really tell it used to be a fence :)

And here it is a few months later. I was really taking pictures of all the wind damaged trees, but this gives you the "see thru" view of the roof. I am really pleased with how it turned out. There is plenty of ventilation, but it is not drafty at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment